Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default TOT elections - second choice.

On Mon, 3 May 2021 18:28:54 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

snip

mail order shoe repairs?

wow

Whilst I've never tried, the only thing that could be an issue with
nearly anyone dealing with such a thing where you don't have to be
present is them being able to send it back?

The not just sending it back, there's also sending it there

It's something I believe more people will be doing after this
lockdown, especially using the 24 hr dropoff boxes etc.

and the problem is that the value of the order to the cobble is an order of
magnitude less than the intrinsic value of the item

Ok?

The cobbler has to take on responsibility for getting back to you a 50 pound
pair of shoes, for a 5 pound repair fee

Well you can cover most items for loss at a reasonable cost and again,
that could be something that becomes cheaper as the services become
more suited to domestic use (Post Office parcel pickup from home etc).

snip

Even the tropical fish and plant places will send stuff though the
mail, although the losses (tropical fish) can be quite high. ;-(

there's a high mark up on the cost of the item when selling it to you that
covers this cost

Financially possibly (not for the fish). ;-(

there's no mark up on repairs that can reasonably cover the value of items
"lost" in the post

See above re insurance.

There is also the thought that people might submit a 'batch' of shoes
to be done at the same time *because* it then splits the postage cost
n ways.

And you are forgetting those who don't even consider the postage cost
as a comparison to the item cost, if it's more convenient for them.

A mate wanted some of his golf shoes (and a few other bits) DHL'd out
to him in Spain and I think the courier cost for 'Next day' was over
£100.

Cheers, T i m