Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default tests to do on used oscilloscope?

Jason Bowers wrote:

==================

A small 1x 10x probe arrives today at last so I can at least check the
scope's square wave output signal peg. See what happens then.

The frequency still seems to be showing higher than it actually is
though. Even with a 30 Mhz scope like this, should I be able to "zoom"
in to see just one or two waveforms? So far, I can't seem to get closer
than 4-5 waveforms at 28 Mhz even with the 10x magnifier on.

** Completely normal.

28MHz is at the limit of the scope's range so no detail is visible on a sine wave.
Also, the amplitude will by down by 30% or so from that at say 5MHz.

30 MHz scopes are are not "flat" to 30MHz but will be at least 3dB down.

....... Phil