Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default chainsaw

"newshound" wrote in message
On 03/05/2021 21:33, NY wrote:
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 03/05/2021 14:34, Andrew wrote:

I use a manual emission-free chain saw. Good exercise.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-erg...24-610mm/5313k

I'd worked myself nearly to death by the time I was 62. I don't want to
finish the job on anything so futile as doing the work of a machine.

When we moved into our new house, we found that the previous owners had
gone a bit OTT with vigorously spreading conifers around the garden. I
had to prune or even cut down some of them. Having tried a bow saw (which
the previous people left) and a tenon saw, both of which kept binding in
the wood, I bought a battery-powered chainsaw. I know which of those
three I'd prefer to use ;-)

I find bow saws pretty hard work, but the folding curved pruning saws are
pretty fast and easy at the two inch level. It's also interesting to find
that a decent machete will cut 20mm in one cut for some timbers. (This is
not for "neat" pruning of course, but I sometimes have to cut back rough
scrub as it encroaches on my horse paddock)

I've snapped two pruning saws when the blades got seized in branches on the
push stroke. The first time the saw was a write-off because the break was
near the handle (*); the second time it was only the tip of the blade that
snapped off. Having a blade that is not kept rigid by a thicker bar (tenon
saw) or kept in tension (bow saw) is just asking for problems...

(*) I nearly impaled my hand on the snapped end of the blade...