Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default chainsaw

On 03/05/2021 21:33, NY wrote:
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 03/05/2021 14:34, Andrew wrote:

I use a manual emission-free chain saw. Good exercise.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-erg...24-610mm/5313k

I'd worked myself nearly to death by the time I was 62. I don't want
to finish the job on anything so futile as doing the work of a machine.

When we moved into our new house, we found that the previous owners had
gone a bit OTT with vigorously spreading conifers around the garden. I
had to prune or even cut down some of them. Having tried a bow saw
(which the previous people left) and a tenon saw, both of which kept
binding in the wood, I bought a battery-powered chainsaw. I know which
of those three I'd prefer to use ;-)

I find bow saws pretty hard work, but the folding curved pruning saws
are pretty fast and easy at the two inch level. It's also interesting to
find that a decent machete will cut 20mm in one cut for some timbers.
(This is not for "neat" pruning of course, but I sometimes have to cut
back rough scrub as it encroaches on my horse paddock)