Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] leen...@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default OT - Troubleshooting internet issues

On Monday, 3 May 2021 at 21:23:31 UTC+1, Pamela wrote:
On 14:54 3 May 2021, said:

Hi All,

I have been having sporadic issues with my internet. A couple of
times a day, when we are streaming on demand TV, it will pause and
the buffering circle appears. After a minute or so it will sort
itself out and continue.

I have noticed that when this happens, pinging the Google DNS server
(8.8.8.8) I get massive ping times usually between 1,000 and 5,000
ms! Looking at this in more detail over the past few days I have run
a couple of tests 1. Continually ping'd 8.8.8.8 over 24 hours.
Looking at the log, the issue seems to happen a few times an hour
2. I have run traceroute 8.8.8.8 for a few hours and I have a few
instances of the long ping times. I have pasted the traceroute for
the 3 occasions below (changed my internal addresses to "MYIP")

You could sidestep your problem with Google's 8.8.8.8 and look for other
fast servers. DNS Benchmark can check their speeds for you. You
download it and it runs without installation.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Thanks Pamela. My DNS servers are set to the ones EE set them to rather than the Google one. I was just using 8.8.8.8 as something on the internet to ping as I knew the IP address