Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] leen...@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default OT - Troubleshooting internet issues

On Monday, 3 May 2021 at 18:30:36 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

most of the time the ping times are fine it is just sporadically I get the problem and the whole thing grinds to a halt for about a minute.

Have you excluded wifi issues by connecting PC via ethernet to router?

random, or always bad same time within the hour? or same interval
between good/bad periods?
I had an issue a couple of weeks ago where the router kept
disconnecting and reconnecting. Openreach came out and fixed it by
redoing some of the connections between me and the cabinet and tested
the line afterwards and it was fine. I had the ping issue before
this though so suspect this is a different issue and would imply it
is after it hits the exchange.

Presumably you did a traceroute "-d" to avoid DNS lookups, doing it
again with DNS will give some clues from device names along the way
I wonder if the first server on the traceroute is the IP address of the kit in the exchange

traceroute will only show routers, not switches, so you'll never have a
full picture.

No I didn't use "-d" but given I was pinging the IP address directly, would it make a difference?