Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] leen...@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default OT - Troubleshooting internet issues

On Monday, 3 May 2021 at 17:45:24 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

Looking at the IP addresses which seem to be causing the long times in traceroute, they seem to be either BT ones or EE (my ISP) ones.

do you get *any* non-slow hops once it leaves your network? If not,
it's likely just to be dodgy DSL connection to cabinet or exchange

does your router give you any line stats? tried reboot router? noise oon
phone line? try calling your own line from mobile

leave pingplotter running for a few hours to try and spot patterns

BT and EE are one and the same ...

Yes most of the time the ping times are fine it is just sporadically I get the problem and the whole thing grinds to a halt for about a minute. I had an issue a couple of weeks ago where the router kept disconnecting and reconnecting. Openreach came out and fixed it by redoing some of the connections between me and the cabinet and tested the line afterwards and it was fine. I had the ping issue before this though so suspect this is a different issue and would imply it is after it hits the exchange. I wonder if the first server on the traceroute is the IP address of the kit in the exchange (it is owned by BT apparently) or it is somewhere downstream of the exchange - not sure how these things work TBH