Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Silly Bergers

On 03/05/2021 14:49, newshound wrote:
On 03/05/2021 10:22, nightjar wrote:
On 02/05/2021 18:03, alan_m wrote:
On 01/05/2021 12:24, nightjar wrote:

I like the way they clear the sewer under the river in Paris. It is
circular and, every so often, using water pressure, they send
through a large wooden ball, fitted with steel cleaning strips
around the outside.

Many sewers are built egg shaped, with the pointy bit at the bottom,
so when there is little sewerage the head of liquid keeps the flow
from stagnating.

The sewer tunnel under the Seine is like a giant U bend. It is always
full of liquid.

I never knew that. I wonder if they ever have to clean it for sediment.

As I said, they send a big wooden ball though as required. It is a very
close fit to the sewer and simply pushes everything ahead of it. A very
clever piece of Victorian era engineering.

--
Colin Bignell