Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default chainsaw

Another case of an older design being more robust than a new one then I'd
say, I can recall a guy trying what you wanted to do, but in his case it was
a power saw, and it just tripped the generator every time it was turned on.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 03/05/2021 09:22, SH wrote:

I don't know whether to get a petrol or electric chain saw. If electric
a constraint is that I want it to work from the genny, which is 2kW. The
bigger chainsaws are 2.5kW.

Bill

A motor is an inductive load.....

Even if you replaced the genny with a 2.5 kW version or found a chainsaw
rated at 2.00 kW, it will still not work due to motors being an inductive
load. (You need a higher start power before it then settles down.

Plus there is power factor to think of.

The generator (Honda EU20i) has been in use with the existing chainsaw for
many years. There have been no problems.

Bill