Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default chainsaw

On Mon, 3 May 2021 12:28:45 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 03/05/2021 12:02, Paul wrote:
Here, a gentleman in the video, measures an electric chainsaw.
With the chain not moving, the peak input current is 50A on the
120V powered saw. The normal operating current is more likely
to be in the 15A range. That's at least a 3X multiplier.

https://www.tek.com/how-to/inrush-cu...ctric-chainsaw

The generator must be scaled a bit, to handle that surge
without stalling. If the generator is the same size as the
load, maybe it will stall out when you pull the trigger.

The generator (Honda EU20i) has been in use with the existing chainsaw
for many years. There have been no problems.

Daughter tried some chainsaw carving at an arb show she had a stand at
using my cheap electric chainsaw and one of my 3KW generators and I
think that worked ok (as far as the saw functioning ok, rather than
being nice / suitable for carving compared with her Stihl carving saw,
certainly with the (stock) bar on the electric).

At least the generator could be put a distance away from the visitors
making the carving bit slightly greener (4/ genny) and quieter (and
probably less vibration).

Cheers, T i m