Ben

Default Leveling a floor for laminate installation

We just had our floor measured for a laminate floor installation. In
the process of measuring the area, the contractor also documented
three crowns in the floor - 2 measuring 1/4" and one at 3/8" over
about 2-3 square feet. Home Depot told us they would not do the
installation with these imperfections. I've decided to take care of
the crowns, and do the installation myself.

Is there a floor leveling compound out there that can be used over
vinyl, or will I need to rip this up, and apply the compound to the
sub-floor?

I know not every floor is perfect, but are these imperfections big
enough to be worried about the subfloor? i.e. - given the size of the
crowns, should I rip up the vinyl to address this anyway?

Finally, if I am willing to pay Home Depot to do the installation, why
wouldn't they offer to level the floor for me, and make a little more
money on the job? But that is probably for another newsgroup...

Thanks,

Ben