Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default aluminum or steel

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 2 May 2021 20:41:28 -0500, Snag
wrote:

On 5/2/2021 8:00 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 02 May 2021 20:36:13 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sun, 2 May 2021 15:01:01 -0500, Snag wrote:

On 5/2/2021 2:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 02 May 2021 13:23:54 -0400, micky
wrote:

I probably need a longer than average seat post for a bicycle.

Many are aluminum, or aluminum alloy. Others are steel. Can aluminum
alloy be as strong as steel? Man, it's steel. It's what the
Pittsburgh Steelers are made of. **

What do you folks know about this?

OTOH, look at this one, designed by Leonardo daVinci.
https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Cycles-...MN/ref=sr_1_20

**Or is this a plot to Stop the Steel?
Aluminum seat posts are generally in the range of 4 or 5 times
thicker than steel - so PLENTY strong particularly if they are made of
a good alloy like 7005 or 6061 at T6 hardness.

Did you perchance mean to type "7075" aluminum ?
No, I meant 7005 which is the predominant alloy in bicycle
construction worldwide.

Building bicycles or bicycle components from 7075 is pretty
fiddicult as MOST of them require welding. Although not IMPOSSIBLE to
wels, welding 7075 is NOT something you want to weld for a stressed
component like a frame - OR a seatpost!!!

OK , I'd never heard of 7005 before you posted that . I did know that
7075 is not easily welded . Are seat posts welded ?

I think they are flat pieces bent into a circle and welding along the
entire length. At least I think I remember seeing a weld line on some
of them.

I've been reading the thread, in fact all 3 of milne, but just haven't
had time to write answers. The eweather is beautiful and I've actually
spent time out outdoors. I hope microsoft won't be angry at me.