Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default tests to do on used oscilloscope?

In article , says...

It seems that both frequency and voltage readings are off. I have an
old URM-25 RF signal generator that I have been feeding into it by
sampling off of the side of a t connector with one side having 50 ohm
dummy load and the other into ch 1 of the scope. Anything I've tried in
frequency and it seems like I'm reading at least double that frequency
on the scope if I count divisions from P-P. A 28 Mhz signal appears as
50 Mhz or plus on the scope. I just wonder if I'm overlooking something
here. Also, with the maximum output from the generator, 100,000 uV, I
am getting around 300,000 uV or more if I could divisions.

Your signal generator is probably set to give RMS voltage and you are
reading peak or peak to peak voltage on the scope. There is a
conversion factor of some number I can not recall but it is around 1.4
or 2.8 times. Also some generators will be open circuit voltage and
some into the 50 ohm load with is 6 db or someother number I can not
think of right off.