Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default tests to do on used oscilloscope?

Jason Bowers wrote:
================

It seems that both frequency and voltage readings are off. I have an
old URM-25 RF signal generator that I have been feeding into it by
sampling off of the side of a t connector with one side having 50 ohm
dummy load and the other into ch 1 of the scope. Anything I've tried in
frequency and it seems like I'm reading at least double that frequency
on the scope if I count divisions from P-P. A 28 Mhz signal appears as
50 Mhz or plus on the scope. I just wonder if I'm overlooking something
here. Also, with the maximum output from the generator, 100,000 uV, I
am getting around 300,000 uV or more if I could divisions.

** Using an old, tube RF gen is not the way to calibrate a scope.

You can started with known DC voltages, checked with your DMM.
Just switch the vertical amps to DC coupled.

A square wave test shows if there are response errors - in one go.
If it looks square, the response is as it should be.

I don't yet have my 1/10x probes. They are due to arrive this week. I
will then immediately check the 2V P-P calibration signal on the scope
and see what happens.

** Scope have internal trim controls for calibration.
You scope clearly works OK, it may need some adjustments to be spot on.

This would all be described in the owners manual.

...... Phil