Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJH[_3_] AJH[_3_] is offline

Default rewinding tractor starter motor

On 02/05/2021 09:10, jon wrote:
On Sat, 01 May 2021 19:55:31 +0100, GB wrote:

How hot does this thing get in normal use? I suspect that the guy in
Pakistan is just using ordinary PVC sheeting. However, as we don't know
for sure, why not use some oven liner?

https://www.johnlewis.com/nostik-tef...g-mat/p2925542

Well it gets pretty warm as it is 50mm from the exhaust manifold and it
looks like the nearest one to that is the one that failed however
I'mloathe to use what has not been used for this before and am
surprised not to find someone who has done this in the past here.

However, to avoid potential problems use high temperature tape:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOOHUI-Temp...ant-25mmx10mm/

dp/B07MNRJC9S

That looks suitable though what's on there on the remaining coils looks
like a cotton cloth tape.

I gather you have a new starter on order, so this is a temporary stop
gap solution. I'm not sure what the downside is if it fails? Will it
bork the engine, or just put you back to square one?

Yes on order but no acknowledgement on when it might arrive and the
machine is stuck in a wood, I may have to take another tractor to drag
it out and then bump start it. If I can fix this before the other
arrives it needs to be good enough to last as it's an awkward job to fit
in a tight space.

And whichever route you go, you NEED to spend another 20 quid on PPE
before you burn the existing insulation off. Life is cheap on the
sub-continent.

No need to burn anything off the shorting out did that.

Or even PTFE tape.

As in plumber's tape, I'd think it not strong enough.