Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Straightening bowed ply

" wrote in message
On Saturday, 1 May 2021 at 22:28:03 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 01/05/2021 21:42, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote

I have built the base units for my study out of 18mm ply
and when I went to fit them today one of the sides has
bowed (i.e. top and bottom are fine but the centre goes
into the cupboard more than it should - if you see what
I mean). There is another cupboard next to this side
(which is fine) so was wondering how best to connect
the 2 together to straighten the dodgy one rather than
pull the good one into the bowed shape?

There are things often called barrel bolts or furniture bolts
that can be used to pull the two vertical sides together and
which have heads which dont intrude into the body
of the base units.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/143481548452?

This is the standard (and very effective) way to connect together
individual kitchen units. But do I take it from the OP's description
that these units are backless? It's normal to have a back on units like
this because this provides bracing to prevent it going into a
parallelogram, if you see what I mean. So that should also stop bowing,
at least at the back.

How much is this bow? 18mm ply does not normally bow very much. If it is
just a millimetre or two then these bolts should sort it out fine.

The cupboards are made from 18mm ply but
for some reason that side seems of have bowed.

If I used the bolts suggested (or even screw the 2 x 18mm
sides together) how do I ensure that the bowed one goes
straight as opposed to the straight one going bowed?

Try it and see what happens. If the unbowed one is pulled
into the bowed one, replace the bowed side under warranty
or at your own expense.