Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default Silly Bergers

On 01/05/2021 15:26, newshound wrote:

As another poster pointed out, it is a developing problem with people
flushing so-called flushable wet wipes, etc. There are also more city
centre restaurants and take-aways, although I have the impression that
much more effort now goes into preventing fats from entering sewers from
these sources

Wet wipes do seem to be a big problem and not just those that will never
break down in a your lifetime. Since the problem was highlighted
manufactures of wet wipes now sell biodegradable wet wipes. These will
breakdown but they do stay intact on their way through the sewers so are
no different to the non-destructible ones with regards their part in the
formation of fat burgs.

Some forms of eco recycled paper toilet roll may also be responsible.
Fluffy toilet paper seems to start disintegration in the toilet bowl
with a little water. Some of the eco paper I once used, similar (but
softer) to the hard Izal paper of old, was still sheet form when I
lifted a manhold cover to find some caught on a rough join in the clay
pipe. This was weeks after I stopped using the paper. This was the type
sold by the German supermarkets when they first opened up. After buying
a few very cheap multi-packs I came to the conclusion that the paper was
crap - the main problem was it was smaller in width so I tended to use
more of it for each wipe