Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack[_3_] Mike Halmarack[_3_] is offline

Default Multiple front door locks

On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 11:11:48 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:33:42 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

Mike Halmarack posted
The main door of my flat has 2 yale type locks and a Mortice lock.
The mortice lock key is the only one I ever received.
It's only when the plumber came to do some work that I realised the
possible problem of having two potentially self locking devices on the
door with no key to open them from the outside.

How do you mean, "possible" problem? How do you get in at the moment
without having keys to the Yale latches?

By leaving them permenantly held back.
Something that the plumber and his mate weren't sure about when they
left at the end of the day.

How do I overcome this? Will a Locksmith be able to provide the means
of making these locks fully functional, with minimum cost and work
involved, or will a complete replacement be necessary?

If they are ordinary Yale locks you can buy replacements at B& Q for a
few quid. They are easy to fit yourself.

They're not that ordinary. One is a "KEN" and the other a "Century".
The Ken has a bezel the other not. I don't know how standard or
interchangeable they are.

Given you weren't given the keys means someone else still could have them
- and that applies to your mortice lock too - I'd want to make it secure.

Good point, I had given that a bit of thought in the past but now you
mention it, it's gone much higher up the priority list.

You could look on Ebay for new lock barrels for your night latches.

That may well be the most economic option.

a decent locksmith. Having a locksmith do the work can be very expensive.

That's why I asked here, to avoid that if possible/
--

Mike