Posted to rec.woodworking

Default mold on raw wood

Jack on Wed, 28 Apr 2021 10:23:29 -0400 typed
in rec.woodworking the following:
On 4/27/2021 10:42 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Suggestions for what works for removing mildew from boards?
I suspect that I can't just "clean it off", expect to "get it
all", and not have it grow back. Any finishes to prevent regrowth? Or
at least seal it in?

When I tore out my pool, it exposed 50 feet of wolmanized 2x12's that
hadn't seen the sun in 25 years. The mildew was extensive. I got a
bucket and brushed on pure bleach, and squirted it off with a hose.
With almost no effort the boards looked better than brand new, and no
damage at all to the wood. Bleach of course, particularly undiluted
could do unwanted things I guess, but didn't in my case (Wolmanized
lumber).

Try it on a small section first and see. It is about as easy and cheap
as it gets.

Always wear good eye protection when using bleach. My wife damn near
went blind once when she splashed some in her eye.

Excellent. I've become a lot less cavalier about such things over
the years.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.