Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default NHS app and vaccination passport.

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Heard on the news they're likely to use the NHS track and trace app as a
vaccine passport.

My phone is a Galaxy S4. Works just fine as a phone and camera and the
things I want a phone for. But too old for the NHS app - which was
presumably written by a pal of BoJo, given I can't see what's so special
about it that it needs the latest phones.

It does not need a particularly recent phone (I think hardware wise all
it needs is Bluetooth Low Energy 4 or above), but does need Android 6 or
later. Most S4s were Android 5 (Lollipop)

Although Samsung don't have an update for this, there are ways of
installing it yourself:

https://www.nextpit.com/how-to-get-a...sung-galaxy-s4

That looks a bit above my paygrade. Does anyone offer this service? Have
Googled, but no help there. And looked on Ebay.

I use the mobile so little for outgoing calls I'm happy with PAYG. And BT
hotspot Wi-Fi access round London, for my parking app, etc.

If I do have to buy a new phone,

There will no doubt be manual ways to achieve the result without a
smartphone, however path of least resistance and all that!

what is going to be the best value? With
at least as good a camera.

Moto does ok for me, but there are other mid range good value options
out there these days. "Good camera" tends to be quite a broad definition
now - some phones take the camera aspect to the extreme.

The S4 has an excellent snapshot camera, which I use a great deal. Perhaps
the main reason I bought it in the first place.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.