Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Finger twitching nervousness

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 21:34:22 +0100, SH wrote:

On 28/04/2021 21:25, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 21:00:44 +0100, gareth evans
wrote:

On 28/04/2021 16:02, #Paul wrote:
gareth evans wrote:
This W10 new desktop facility is really getting on my tits,
[...]
Surely there must be some way of disabling this unwanted
and unnecessary facility??????????????????????

Install linux? :-)

... well, somebody had to suggest it...

I'd already said in another life that I'm getting more and
more ****ed-off with Microsoft that the next PC I go for will
be Linuxy

Before you commit in any way you can run Linux on your existing PC
from a DVD or USB drive and start to get a feel for it?

Whilst I have a few Linux only machines, I also have it dual boot
(with Windows) on some and on a couple on external / USB drive. If you
stick it on a 64G SSD in a USB3 external enclosure and in a USB3 port
on a PC / laptop it runs pretty quickly. Once finished you unplug it,
reboot and your PC is back as it was. ;-)

It is a good idea to have such a solution handy in any case, Linux
Mint is pretty good and user friendly.

https://linuxmint.com/

Or you could download the linux ISOs and load them into Hyper V (as
local installation source) which is part of Windows so you can try Linux
from within the Windows 10 desktop?

Whilst I've run Linux in a VB VM and container, it all adds to the
complexity and more of a risk of trashing the host OS by mistake than
running say a live DVD/USB or even running it on a USB attached drive
(once installed etc).

You do have to turn off Secure Boot setting or Linux won't load within
Hyper-V

And that can then cause an issue for Windows. ;-(

You can then delete the VM if you don't like that flavour of Linux or if
you do,

Yes, it is easier running it on a VM for that.

ytou can thengo the whole hog and install linux on your disk of
choice and boot off that.

That's what I do here on a couple of PC's. I have removable SATA
drives and can mix n match easily with no risk to the 'other' OS's.

Another way is to download & create a LiveDVD/CD and boot off that but
it then is in Read only mode and does not write anything to your
physical disks

Yeah, I suggested that above and is something I have often left with
others (LiveDVD) both for them and me either to play with on their
machines or to use as an emergency repair tool.

I can generally get people to boot a LiveDVD (remotely, by phone etc),
get online (if Wireless), download, 'install' and run Teamviewer (that
is actually the Windows version running in WINE) and then get access
to their machine, in one instance, actually installing Linux for them
remotely. ;-)

Cheers, T i m