Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Finger twitching nervousness

On 28 Apr 2021 20:37:25 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

On 28 Apr 2021 at 16:02:43 BST, #Paul #Paul wrote:

gareth evans wrote:
This W10 new desktop facility is really getting on my tits,
[...]
Surely there must be some way of disabling this unwanted
and unnecessary facility??????????????????????

Install linux? :-)

... well, somebody had to suggest it...

So how, in Linux (specifically Mint 20.1 Cinnamon) do I pin an app to the
taskbar or whatever it's called?

Don't you right click on the app in the menu and do it from there
(from memory)? I thought you got the choice of taskbar (or whatever
it's called) or desktop?

a) MacOS - simple, just drop it on the Dock where you want it. Use drag/drop
to reorganise your Dock icons

It's funny, one of the things that ****ed me off about MacOS (at the
time possibly) was the inability to create a simple text file on the
desktop. It was also as easy as it always has been on Windows on Mint
until I think recently, where they seem to have dropping such things
off. You can generally add them back on again with come CLI CopyPaste
wizardry. (Like being able to open a folder as Admin from the GUI /
File Manager (Nemo?), you have to add that back manually).

b) Win7 - Simple, just drop it on the taskbar where you want it. Harder to
reorganise.

c) Win10 - Similar to Win7

d) Mint 20.1 - blowed if I could find a way to do it.

e) RPi - even worse.

That's hardware though, all the rest were OS's?

Cheers, T i m