Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimming an LED

Well some dimming seems to be duty cycle related ie its pulsing on and off,
but I guess resistive dimming by lowering its voltage will be pretty
inefficient too.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Think it's generally known that dimming a tungsten bulb reduced its
efficiency dramatically. In other words, a 100w dimmed to half brightness
used a lot more electricity than a 50w on full. Although dimming did
extend the life of the bulb.

So how about LEDs? Since they generate far less heat are they still as
efficient when dimmed? And does dimming make a difference to their life?

--
*When I'm not in my right mind, my left mind gets pretty crowded *

Dave Plowman
London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.