Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default NHS app and vaccination passport.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 18:35:24 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 28/04/2021 18:26, Theo wrote:
GB wrote:
Google suggests that you can update Android way beyond v6, using
unofficial updates. Might be worth a look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

The S4 goes up to Android 11:
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/jfltexx
- it's one of the best supported phones.

Although I'd have a spare phone on hand in case something goes wrong so you
can still make calls.

Theo

Exactly so. But, it's worth emphasising that that is not a Samsung
upgrade. I don't know what version Samsung upgrades went up to, but I
suspect that it was Android 4 or 5.

Yes, my SGS4 is on 5.0.1

Most/many people just rely on the manufacturer's upgrades.

Whilst being reasonably technical and generally update the firmware /
BIOS's in most things, I've always been reluctant to jailbreak any of
my phones as they were generally not cheap and in often in regular
use. ;-)

My SGS2 is on Android version 4.0.4 and has a giffgaff PAYG SIM in it
as a backup phone.

My current phone, a SGS7 is on version 8.0.0

I wouldn't mind therefore trying to upgrade the SGS4 but looking at
the steps on Johns link it looks like there are a million things that
could go wrong and leave you with a brick? ;-(

I would be reassured if there were loads of people saying they had
followed the walkthrough and it worked first time (but there don't
seem to be). ;-(

Cheers, T i m