Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default Everest Windows

My wife bought a bungalow a few years. The previous owners had
installed Everest double glazed windows. We could not visit the property
because of Covid restrictions but there is a camera in the sitting room
and we did notice that the blinds were moving on windy days. I thought
that perhaps a window had been left open but when we were eventually
able to come here that was not the case. The all the Windows were made
by Everest.

The sitting room has a large window. The central glass panel is about 8'
wide by 6' high. The glass panel has an aluminium frame going round it
and was fitted from the outside into another aluminium frame that
attaches to a wooden frame. Arround the outer aluminium frame there are
10 holes about 8mm in diameter. These holes allow access to small
posidrive screws which I think pull the glass aluminium frame towards
the aluminium frame in the wooden frame.

The curtains were moving because one of the top corners of the glass
aluminium frame had come away outwards leaving about a half inch gap. It
could not be pushed back because one of the screws was catching on the
aluminium frame mounted in the wood. I did just manage to get a
screwdriver into the screw and when I tried to turn it anticlockwise it
suddenly went further in and I was then able to push the glass and its
aluminium frame into the proper position though I can't secure it
properly. I can't see exactly what the screws do. If the window was much
smaller I could undo all the screws and then remove the glass and the
surrounding aluminium.

It is impossible to phone Everest but I did make contact via their
website chat. They told me that the windows were installed in 2008.
and said "as the door (?) was fitted before June 2020 this would have
been installed by Everest Ltd who went into administration in June 2020
we are Everest 2020 Ltd, a different company therefor cannot honor their
guarantees from that long ago"

I was sent a web form arranging a paid for repair. I completed this but
they have declined to do anything.

So I am very unimpressed by Everest. I don't understand why the window
would move outwards, the property is exposed to strong winds.

I am thinking about using pop rivets from the outside to hold the two
frames together. It looks like some sort of glue was also used in the
orogial installation.

Any suggestions as to what else to try?

--
Michael Chare