Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Finger twitching nervousness

On 28/04/2021 12:45, gareth evans wrote:
This W10 new desktop facility is really getting on my tits,
almost more so than the Amazon fiasco (qv).

I almost don't dare to touch the mouse pad lest the display
all disappears up into the top left corner with icons for
each open program.

This is * B L O O D Y *Â* annoying.

Surely there must be some way of disabling this unwanted
and unnecessary facility??????????????????????

ok, reading between the lines a bit here, I would guess you are ending
up in "task view". (it shows a map of smaller versions of every window
on a particular screen, plus a timeline of documents opened recently -
also serves as a place to create extra virtual desktops to allow groups
of windows to be swapped in and out quickly - quite handy on small
laptop screens).

You can get to it on recent versions of Win 10 by clicking the "stacked
boxes" icon close to the search gadget on the task bar.

Now, there are a couple of different systems for doing stuff with a
trackpad. The "modern" one is with "gestures" - however these are
generally only suited to multi-touch trackpads, and not all laptops have
these. If yours is supported, then Settings-Devices-Mouse & Touchpad,
will let you configure these.

For systems that lack muti-touch capability there are also "edge swipes"
or "edge gestures". A swipe on the left edge of the pad will go into
task view on a recentish version of Win 10

Edge swipes can be enabled and disabled, but windows leaves this to the
vendor of the trackpad if they have supplied their own version. Some
vendor's drivers allow these to be disabled, however some don't. For
those that don't, you can just opt to uninstall the vendors driver and
windows will revert to its default Human Interface Device driver for
most touch pads. That will normally disable them, or at least provide a
configuration option.

--
Cheers,

John.