Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Dimming an LED

Max Demian wrote:
On 28/04/2021 07:35, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think it's generally known that dimming a tungsten bulb reduced its
efficiency dramatically. In other words, a 100w dimmed to half brightness
used a lot more electricity than a 50w on full. Although dimming did
extend the life of the bulb.

So how about LEDs? Since they generate far less heat are they still as
efficient when dimmed? And does dimming make a difference to their life?

Until they can make the colour temperature of LEDs drop as they dim, Ive
decided Im going to just avoid using dimmers with LEDs as the just look
ghastly as the dim IMO.

So you want an LED that behaves like an incandescent?

Yes. Why is that so hard to understand?

Bit like wanting
CDs to have scratches recorded on them!

Not in the slightest. LED bulbs are replacing incandescent bulbs which
have always got €śwarmer€ť as they are dimmed. I like this, I dont regard
it as a €śfault€ť but a feature that Im used to and like. Its often why I
use a dimmer, to create a lower but warmer level of light for the ambience.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls