Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Why aren't all window hinges like this?

On 28/04/2021 10:51, Steve Walker wrote:
On 28/04/2021 10:39, nightjar wrote:
On 24/04/2021 12:48, GB wrote:

I was recently helping my son in law get his flat ready to sell, and
I noticed that the Critall metal windows have unusual hinges, like in
the photo.Â* These are similar to parliament hinges.

https://www.deltaglazing.co.uk/wp-co...ow-repairs.jpg

The effect is that, with the window open there's a gap at the hinge
side that's wide enough to get your arm through for cleaning the
outside of the window.

That's such a simple idea, and so easy to implement that I'm
surprised it's not more commonplace.

Replacement windows I have had fitted open inwards, making the outside
even easier to clean.

But meaning that you have to remove any pot plants or ornaments.

Assuming you clutter the window sill up with such things.

You can also get windows that pivot about a horizontal point halfway up.
That brings the outside in, without having to worry about plant pots.

I had a conversation with an elderly French woman some years ago and we
talked about this. She liked the idea of opening outwards, but worried
about cleaning. When I told her that we have a window cleaner who comes
round once a month to do it, she thought it a wonderful idea!

Its what I do.

--
Colin Bignell