Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimming an LED

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Think it's generally known that dimming a tungsten bulb reduced its
efficiency dramatically. In other words, a 100w dimmed to half brightness
used a lot more electricity than a 50w on full. Although dimming did
extend the life of the bulb.

So how about LEDs? Since they generate far less heat are they still as
efficient when dimmed? And does dimming make a difference to their life?

Until they can make the colour temperature of LEDs drop as they dim, I‘ve
decided I‘m going to just avoid using dimmers with LEDs as the just look
ghastly as the dim IMO.

I was forced into going LED in the kitchen. The design of tungsten lamp
being NLA. Basically a 100mm globe lamp in a shade above the table, which
I liked the look of. Did find an expensive LED which looks much the same,
but that also required a new dimmer (one of 3) so decided to replace the
other two tungsten circuits which light the worktops via downlighters with
LED too. And they were PAR 25, and difficult to find LEDS for them too,
but eventually did. Total cost about £150. I've now got used to the
colour temperature staying the same when dimmed and don't mind it. As I
already had dimming florries as under cupboard lighting, and they keep the
same colour temp when dimmed.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.