Posted to alt.home.repair
bruce bowser bruce bowser is offline

Default Do I need a third stringer for my deck stairs?

On Monday, August 11, 2008 at 8:40:50 AM UTC-4, Phil Again wrote:
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:56:06 -0700, stratford1 wrote:
I'm building a set of stairs on my deck and CANNOT seem to find a
straight answer on this. I'm using closed outside stringers spaced 36"
and will use metal tread brackets to attach two 2x6 treads for each
stair. Some info I've found says I DO need a third stringer in the
middle for support...others have suggested I DO NOT need a third
stringer as long as my span isnt longer than 36". Any suggestions on
this? Will my 2x6s hold up ok or should I do the third stringer
regardless to make my stairs stronger?

Did you ask you local building inspector's office if they have any
spacing requirements for stair stingers?

Easier than that, just go by the address of remodeling construction companies and just ask them. They won't charge you just to tell you.