Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish for window sill

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 17:13:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 7:08:11 PM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 13:07:45 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 23:03:39 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 22:59:00 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:19:22 -0500, Markem618
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:05:25 -0400, wrote:

I need 12' to simplify things but that doesn't look like a problem. I
was thinking about steel or fiberglass but PVC may be lighter. This
looks like a possibility too. Clear would allow me to see the
critters under there. We have squirrels making a nest in our gas
grill (hasn't been used in years) now. I wouldn't want them under
there.

Pvc can be heavy, could try Polycarbonate Twinwall if you want some
what clear.

Yikes! That's some expensive stuff! More than $4000 for the 12x16
deck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SUNTUF-Suntuf-Bronze-72-inx26-in-10-pk/1002343982

The stuff I saw is here, not quite 4 grand either

https://www.interstateplastics.com/polycarbonate

Better, but still $800 ($500 shipping). How do the panels join with a
watertight seal?

They sell that stuff, basically a batten held down by screws with
weather strip gasket. Getting on top to do the work might not be the
easy though. Hiring a basket truck might increase cost a wee bit.

Basket truck? To attach the panels to the bottom of the joists of a deck?

I'm pretty sure his deck isn't that high off the ground.

Eight feet. Fastening to the bottom of the deck may not be the best
idea. How does the panel get supported? Aren't these things pretty
floppy? It says to keep them out of the sun/heat or they'll get limp.
It's on the south side but, of course, the deck would shade it.

I was originally thinking about the fiberglass or steel panels. A few
rows of screws in the middle of the panel should work.

There is a rubber membrane and gutter system designed to go under Trex
but it's incredibly expensive.

https://trexrainescape.com/installation/