Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Regarding charging (batteries, not customers)

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
On 26/04/2021 16:33, Chris Green wrote:
I agree, somewhere around 14.5v is the terminal (as in final) voltage
to fully charge a nominal 12v lead acid battery. The charger should
then drop back to something like 13.5v, 'float' voltage, to maintain
the battery.

The exact voltages will vary with temperature and the exact type of
battery.

Yes, I think I'll check the voltage with an accurate meter tomorrow. It
does seem high. Of course it's the output from a 24/12V converter. Oddly
it takes a long time to charge the battery, always has done, and does
now with a new battery.

I've just had the old Rover battery on charge using the Lidl charger I
built into it. It's the smart one which will pulse charge a very low
battery, then charge at a constant current, and change to float when full.
So took the opportunity to remind me of that float voltage. Said to be OK
to leave on indefinitely. Near exactly 13v.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.