Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem618 Markem618 is offline

Default Finish for window sill

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 21:05:25 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 06:28:34 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-SeaC...-Panel/3010589

I read/heard about critters, bees, etc. but I decided to go for it anyway.
For a number of years I had it partially roofed (ceilinged, I guess) with
semi-transparent corrugated fiberglass panels and when I took them
down there was no indication of unwanted guests. I get nests behind
my shutters and in a few other places, so I know I have wasps, but the
under-deck panels haven't ever been a problem.

I need 12' to simplify things but that doesn't look like a problem. I
was thinking about steel or fiberglass but PVC may be lighter. This
looks like a possibility too. Clear would allow me to see the
critters under there. We have squirrels making a nest in our gas
grill (hasn't been used in years) now. I wouldn't want them under
there.

Pvc can be heavy, could try Polycarbonate Twinwall if you want some
what clear.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-Poly...-Panel/3043807

I have a double beam that supports the joists and the deck cantilevers
about 2 feet past that. I mounted a gutter to the inside of the beam and
the panels drain into that and then to a downspout.

For the floor, I laid landscape timbers perpendicular to the house 16" OC
and topped them with 1/2" PT plywood. This is a storage area, with
lattice panels along both sides and under the beam, so 1/2" PT is
good enough for me.

I'm not so concerned about the floor. The biggest problem I have is
the rain running off the deck and splashing the Georgia red clay on
the house. Red on yellow isn't all that appealing. Concrete would be
nice to get big tools in there but that's not an every day thing. I'm
only planning on a couple more (until/unless we move), if I can get
them past the budget committee.

Other than some blowing snow, the area stays completely dry. Not
enough snow to be a problem. The most interesting part was how
un-level the ground was under the deck. When I started to put the
floor in I knew I would have to dig a little to get it level, but I think
it was something like 8" off level over a 16' area. Much more digging
than I expected. Luckily it's all sand.

Mine is all clay. It might just as well be concrete.

The fun part was finding some small toys buried in the sand from
when my kids would play under the deck. I found a bunch of pieces
from plastic tea-party set. I sent pictures to the girls and I think they
got all teary eyed. :-)

;-)