Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On 25/04/2021 19:09, alan_m wrote:

Immobiliser? Radio memory? I'm sure the makers of expensive cars would do
everything they could to reduce quiescent load.

I really don't see an answer to it with modern cars. And I'm sure many
very clever engineers have given it much thought.

All data could be stored in non-volatile memory requiring no power to
maintain it when the cars ignition is turned off, or key/fob removed.

I guess the biggest user of standby power on a car is remote locking and
the alarm.

Depends if you are a dick like me:-)

I left the dashcam in the car plugged in for three weeks and flattened
the battery [1].

The car's "cig lighter" socket is always on unlike the works van.

[1] Just enough so that it did not have enough juice to start the car.
Diesel on a cold morning etc.

--
Adam