Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_4_] Michael Chare[_4_] is offline

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On 26/04/2021 08:54, alan_m wrote:
On 26/04/2021 07:50, RJH wrote:

If only - the first warning I had of a failing battery was the dash dials
going haywire, and then the car came to a stop.

Albeit on a 5+ year old battery I once had a failure overnight. The
previous day it started the car which had been sitting for 18 hours in
temperatures below 0C.Â* It started the car a couple of more times during
the day. Previously there had been no indication of a failing battery
and my daily commute was 30+ miles. On the morning of the failure the
dash lights came on for a second or two and then dimmed to nothing, a
turn of the key resulted in zilch. A morning on the charger did nothing.

A new battery restored everything to working order.

What sort of battery did you have. I now have a car with an AGM battery
for stop start. I am now wondering how long it will last and what a
failure will be like. For the past 25 years my cars have normally
started very easily so I don't notice that the battery is failing. One
car would not start so I charged the battery, drove about 10 miles to
buy a new one and then the car would not start to come home until I
fitted the new battery. Fortunately I had the tools I needed with me.

--
Michael Chare
battery is starting to fail.