Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 04:40:07 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

Anyhow, my point is that just last week, I decided to risk pressing the
'Test' button to see if there'd be any sign of deterioration of the
battery pack's condition after three years of service. I'm happy to say
only the top led in the column of five extinguished as per the initial
commissioning tests so it looks like my decision to dial the float
charging voltage 'back a notch' has actually paid off.

I do an automatic (triggered by the controlling PC) test once a week. I
run the test, then report what the capacity is after a fixed period of
time. If it's not 100%, I know the battery is starting on its way out.

I replaced one a couple of weeks ago. The short test dropped it to 75%
immediately, and it didn't recover quickly at all.