Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 06:50:17 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

If only - the first warning I had of a failing battery was the dash dials
going haywire, and then the car came to a stop.

snip

That was similar to when I was driving my mates AMG Merc to a dealers
and it also came up with some form of 'Battery' fault before cutting
out, before I could even turn round to take it back to his (about 2
miles away).

It had a big battery in the boot for running most things and a smaller
one in the engine bay to start the engine.

'Apparently' it was the dual output alternator and put around £750 on
the cost of the car before he could sell it. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Got caught in some bad traffic the other day and the old Meriva
started running on 3 cylinders and it threw up an engine management
light (that reminds me, I should code read that and see what it was).

Using it again later (after it had cooled down) it seemed to behave ok
but had also fixed the odometer backlight that had been out for about
6 months. ;-)