Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On 26/04/2021 07:50, RJH wrote:

If only - the first warning I had of a failing battery was the dash dials
going haywire, and then the car came to a stop.

Albeit on a 5+ year old battery I once had a failure overnight. The
previous day it started the car which had been sitting for 18 hours in
temperatures below 0C. It started the car a couple of more times during
the day. Previously there had been no indication of a failing battery
and my daily commute was 30+ miles. On the morning of the failure the
dash lights came on for a second or two and then dimmed to nothing, a
turn of the key resulted in zilch. A morning on the charger did nothing.

A new battery restored everything to working order.

Rather less baffling is why the brake pad wear indicators hadn't come on after
Halfords, for three consecutive years, reported low pad levels as an advisory
at MOT time.

I once had disks and pads replaced by a local garage and years later
when replacing the pads myself found that the low pad wires had not been
connected - they had been neatly coiled up and cable tied safely out of
the way.