Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Regarding charging (batteries, not customers)

Surely though there is always some drain from the vehicle battery due to all
its electronics running. So that small drain may not be an error.
It must have quite a complex switching set up, probably with some logic
built in in any case and it would be interesting to know which circuit it
uses to keep this running.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"williamwright" wrote in message
In view of recent discussions here, as I drove my motorhome back from a
short trip today I thought it might be worth reporting the behaviour of
the batteries and chargers, so I made notes.

There are five electrical circuits.
1. The vehicle electrics (V), which are 24V. The only connection with the
other circuits is that when the engine has been running for 45 seconds Aux
A is connected and is charged, and the same thing after 75 seconds for Aux
B.
2. Aux A is a 24V circuit. It has a 110Ah pair of batteries and can supply
anything in the van except vehicle stuff. It is charged by the alternator
when travelling or from the mains via a 20A 'intelligent' charger.
3. Aux B is a 24V circuit. It has a 110Ah pair of batteries and can supply
anything in the van except vehicle stuff.
4. Aux C is a 12V circuit. It has an 80Ah battery and supplies all the 12V
items. Charging is from a 24/12 converter that can run from Aux A or B.
5. Mains. Powered from an inverter, or automatically from external mains
if available. Heavy loads (heaters) can only be powered from external
mains.

When parked the van is normally on mains. After a few days the ammeters
and voltmeters will read roughly as follows:
V: 24.4V, -0.01A
A: 27.8V, +0.15A
B: 28.1V, +0.30A
C: 14.6V, +0.03A

Travelling from home following the above state, after five minutes
running:
V: 26.4V, +5.00A
A: 26.6V, +0.00A
B: 26.3V, +0.00A
C: 14.6V, +0.03A

Travelling from two nights' non-mains camping, after five minutes running:
V: 26.4V, +3.00A
A: 26.6V, +13.00A
B: 26.3V, +18.00A
C: 14.6V, +8.00A

Travelling from two nights' non-mains camping, arriving home after an
hour's running:
V: 26.4V, +2.00A
A: 26.6V, +4.00A
B: 26.3V, +4.00A
C: 14.6V, +3.00A

Back home and on mains, after two or three minutes.
V: 25.8V, -0.01A
A: 28.2V, +13.00A
B: 28.3V, +18.00A
C: 14.6V, +8.00A

Back home and on mains, after a week.
V: 25.0V, -0.01A
A: 28.2V, +0.20A
B: 28.3V, +0.15A
C: 14.6V, +0.01A

So this shows that the vehicle is set up to charge the batteries quite
slowly, and up to a certain state of charge. This seems to me to be normal
for alternator charging. Charging from the chargers, even after a period
charging from the alternator, is faster and to a higher voltage. What
appears to be leakage from the vehicle battery is just meter error I
think.

Bill