Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default OT: Car battery volt drop

On 25 Apr 2021 at 18:58:10 BST, "alan_m" wrote:

In article ,
alan_m wrote:

It's why they no longer fit oil pressure gauges, ammeters and accurate
temperature gauges to cars these days. All they did was cause worry to
most.

But these parameters are being monitored and if you connect a OBDII
device to the diagnostic port you can see such items on a smart phone or
tablet.

One would hope that if you go to those lengths, you'd know what the
readings mean. Unlike the average motorist. But such gauges disappearing
started long before code readers.

The point is that the engine management system/computer is still
monitoring these functions and the computer programming has more inbuilt
knowledge about the parameters being monitored than the average driver
ever had.

My car now even has a message coming up on the dash if the fluid in the
windscreen washer bottle is getting low and I'm guess I would get a
similar message if the oil pressure was low or the engine was running
over temperature.

If only - the first warning I had of a failing battery was the dash dials
going haywire, and then the car came to a stop.

Rather less baffling is why the brake pad wear indicators hadn't come on after
Halfords, for three consecutive years, reported low pad levels as an advisory
at MOT time.

--
Cheers, Rob