Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

Default Moving wood bundles

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:31:15 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Get all the thick ends pointing one direction, wrap my
arms around as many as I can and drag them out.

Ours is once a year. It's nice they do free wood chipping.
It's not so nice that my boys are all off at college now so I'm alone.
(My food bill went to almost nothing the instant they left the house!)

I forgot to mention that like your wood chippers mine are picky in that all
the cut ends need to be facing the road and the wood needs to be
perpendicular to the curb and all bundles must be on the downhill side of
the road but no more than 3 feet in from the road.

They'll take up to 8 inches though.

The length of some of these is twenty and thirty feet long but most are
around six to ten feet long (almost all was dead or dying weeds, bushes,
brush, and some trees).

I could cut them into neat sizes but that's thousands more cuts than I want
to do just to move them a few hundred feet to where the chippers can get at
them.

I'm learning though that laying a lattice of rope (doesn't need many
strands) and then repositioning them onto that lattice works best.

Dragging that lattice isn't too bad (and not too hard on the rope if I can
try to position the rope so that it's mostly not touching the ground when
dragging (but it's a bit more work to do as I wore out the rope on one trip
before I realized that trick).

I wish I had known to lay the rope BEFORE I made these huge piles.
(I don't own a trailer but the terrain is not conducive to vehicles anyway.)