Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving wood bundles

On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 12:23:34 -0200, dan wrote:

Don't have help so I'm doing it myself.

Piled up 3 to 4 feet high by about 20 feet long wood bundles pulled out of
the back yard unused acreage. Bundles are a mix of everything you can
imagine from thin stalks to 8 inch deadwood logs. Craggy as all hell.

Don't want to just throw it over the hillside dropoff (the purpose of
clearing the dead wood is for a free fire protection program which will chip
as much as I can give them but it has to be where they want it to be and
it's not yet there).

I have to move these bundles hundreds of feet to the pickup point.
Just asking for ideas.

First I tried the wheelbarrow but that will take forever even on paved
ground. Nothing fits. Average is three times the length of a barrow.

Then I tried the blue tarps and bungees but the brand new 9mil tarp wore out
a 2 foot diameter hole in the middle on the first run.

Now I'm using ropes but I wish I had thought about them first as it's best
done when I lay rope on the ground and pile the wood bundles on top before
dragging. For now I have the rope knotted into a big ball on one end of a
pipe which I shove (bangalore style) under the pile and then wrap it around
the middle and drag.

Rope dragging worked much better than the rest of the ideas so far.

The wood chippers are coming in a few days so I'm just asking for advice on
how to move large piles of wood of various sizes long distances by hand.

A trailer?