Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Scale Inhibitor

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:
On 25/04/2021 09:27, Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/04/2021 20:31, pinnerite wrote:

I am shortly to move to a bungalow that needs a lot of TLC.
I want to ensure that we do sometghing to counteract hard water.

Your choices are limited to a water softener for where it really makes
a difference or accepting a reduced lifetime of kettle elements and
immersion heaters. It depends just how hard the water really is.

We have a water softener. The primary reason is to make cleaning the
shower room cubicle glass and tiles easier and less frequent.

It doesn't remove 100% of the limescale, but it does improve things
considerably.

We still have a hard water tap for drinking water, and filling the
kettle etc, I didn't think drinking softened water is a 'long term' good
idea ?
It certainly tastes crap.

our water softener is on the feed to our loft storage tank. Drinking water
is straight from the main. Kettles get descaled when needed,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England