Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Why aren't all window hinges like this?

On 25/04/2021 10:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 24/04/2021 12:48, GB wrote:

I was recently helping my son in law get his flat ready to sell, and I
noticed that the Critall metal windows have unusual hinges, like in
the photo.Â* These are similar to parliament hinges.

https://www.deltaglazing.co.uk/wp-co...ow-repairs.jpg

The effect is that, with the window open there's a gap at the hinge
side that's wide enough to get your arm through for cleaning the
outside of the window.

That's such a simple idea, and so easy to implement that I'm surprised
it's not more commonplace.

just an early 1950's easy clean hinge so you can get your hand
through,,,,no big deal...but quality

If that window had normal hinges then a gust of wind could blow it
back and damage the hinges. Crittal windows have always been like
this, AFAIK.

The buyer of this flat will knock a fair bit off to cover the
cost of DG replacement, or secondary glazing if this is in a
conservation area.