Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chade Chade is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 11:41:07 AM UTC+1, AJH wrote:
On 23/04/2021 00:45, Chade wrote:
On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 11:21:13 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:48:55 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
Hi all

My sthil ms260 was starting fine but overheating and cutting out. My local garden machinery repair place told me it was because the piston/cylinder was scratched
Do you know how they knew that?

They said they had removed the muffler and so looked directly at the piston.

This is standard first call with a saw that has become difficult to
start, most often the damage is on the hot exhaust gas side and you can
see there the aluminium has smeared on the ring.

It was ok starting just overheated and cut out after a few minutes work. There were some scratches to be seen on the piston and cylinder but I would not say anything had smeared.