Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

On 23/04/2021 00:47, Chade wrote:
On Wednesday, April 21, 2021 at 8:55:35 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 21/04/2021 11:21, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 13:48:55 -0700 (PDT), Chade

I was happy with everything but now realise that with all the jumping about on youtube I have greased one bearing too many. As well as the bearing I should have greased (in the sprocket) I have also lightly greased the little end bearing with lithium grease.

Are these 'plain bearings' (metal on metal) or 'open' (presumably)
roller or ball bearings?

I'd expect it to be a needle roller.

I know really I should take it all apart again to clean it and put it all back together, but if I started and ran the saw as it is and everything else was right would it do much harm?

I wouldn't worry about having greased it, once it gets warm the grease
will soften and inertial forces will take care of the rest. As it is a
two-stroke any grease residues will rapidly be flushed out through the
cylinder.

The only place I can think of where you wouldn't want grease is on the
centrifugal clutch shoes and they are fairly easy to get to if you
thought there was a chance.

If they did have grease on them some brake cleaner might get it off or
when I was a lad I'd boil them in some washing detergent. ;-)

IME modern linings in CF clutches are fairly insensitive to mineral
oils. But I agree with your fixes if that is a problem

Thanks. I was worried about it dissolving in the fuel and gumming up the piston somehow.

Won't happen. You will get a trace of (probably) lithium salts as it
burns up on its way through the cylinder. Two stroke oils used to be
ordinary mineral oils (like the "oil" part of the grease). Modern ones
tend to be synthetics with less tendency to form gums and lacquers, but
there's only a tiny amount in the bearing compared to what the engine
will use in an hour's running.