Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default OT: Local politics, opposition?

On 23/04/2021 19:34, charles wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 23 Apr 2021 at 10:13:19 BST, T i m wrote:

Would a councilor from an opposition party who represented one ward
out of the rest who were under the control of a single party, have any
more power 'as opposition' than those candidates who didn't gain a
seat (or whatever it's called in Local elections)?

Of course, because he's a councillor and they are not.

Do representatives from the other parties still turn up to important
meetings?

Assuming you mean council meetings, only if they are councillors and are
memebers of the committee that is having a meeting.

Council meetings are held in public.

Unless they want to discuss something that they don't want us to hear,
as our parish council did when they were involved in some dodgy
deal to get a new sports pavilion/changing rooms. This came to
nought and we still don't know what they have signed up for.
£25K for an 'independent' report for starters from what I have heard.