Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default DMM

In article , lid
says...

CAT III Measurement category minimum, with a decent set of leads. A
manufacturer that will stand behind their safety certification as well
as calibration.

Country of manufacture doesn't matter.

Ye want something that is not going to vaporise in a deadly fireball
when placed across mains.

I have a few cheap DMM meters, of worth less than $10. They go nowhere
near 240V.

I agree. I have several of the 'free' HF meters. They are fine for
what they are. I don't put them across anything above 50 volts that is
capable of supplying more than an amp.

For serious work I have a couple of the Fluke 87 meters and the good
old trusty Simpson 260 and Amprobe analog meters.