Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default DMM

In article , says...

Personally I like the free DMM give away with purchase at Harbor
Freight. Plenty of features including a transistor tester built in and
accurate enough. Unfortunately they have stopped the free stuff.
The only problems with the HF DMM is that the internal 9V battery
requires a screw driver to open the case and replace the battery. So I
have to buy a screw driver at HF. LOL

P.S. I had a Fluke DMM and it totally died. And not that old either.
Very disappointing.

You should have gotten the 'free' screwdriver set. I have several of
them.

It all depends on what one wants to do with the meters. For low voltage
testing that does not need to be too accurate the HF meters are ok. The
ones I have are within 5 % or less than the Fluke meters I have . I
just don't like to put them on any thing over about 50 volts where there
is plenty of current avaliable like the house wiring. I have a couple
of good Fluke meters for that.

There seems to be plenty of DMMs out for less than $ 100. See if you
can find one that is CAT rated. That is meters certified to be safe is
you have them set for ohms or amps and put them across a voltage source.
The meter may never work again,but an internal fuse will blow and make
it safe . Some of the cheap meters may not do this but arc over
internally and the leads melt in your hands and may put you across the
voltage. Seeing some of the Fluke safety videos will make you think
about that.

I have a Fluke t100 that is made as an electricians test meter. I have
put it across some 240 volt circuits while set on ohms and no effect to
the meter. Did that at work a lot on purpose for some tests.