Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Finish for window sill

"no one" wrote in message ...

Like an idiot I stained and finished our new wood window casing & sills
with Shellac several years ago. Now of course the sun & exposure has pretty
much taken their toll & I need to refinish.

I don't want a urethane since that yellows over time. I was thinking about
a pre-cat laquer or a water based polyurethane or varnish. Any preferences?
I'm leaning to the poly. It will be brushed on.

Are you referring to the sill or the stool (i.e., on the outside or inside
of the house)?

If it's the sill I wouldn't expect shellac to last for even a year. If it's
the stool refinishing shellac is a given. I'd be inclined to use a water
based polyurethane on the inside and spar varnish on the outside.